Saturday 21 February 2009

DEE DUO MEET FAB FOUR - 1963

Dundee certainly was buzzin' in the early 60's. DFC Scottish League champs in 62, European Cup nights and The Beatles playing Caird Hall in 63.
The 2 Dundee players in the photo with The Beatles are, Hugh Robertson (guitar) and George Ryden. I don't think I need to mention the fab 4 individually!
Hugh is no doubt telling Lennon & McCartney of an even better group hitting the pop scene... Hammy and the Hamsters!
George Ryden used to live 3 doors along from me in the 60's. We used to play futba in the cul-de-sac, him in the Dundee team and me at primary. He used to do his fancy footwork wearing winkle pickers!!
Little did this lot know then, that a few years later, Lennon & McCartney songs would end up as football chants at Dens Park.
Below are 2 examples - "Hey Jude" and "Give peace a chance".
I'm pretty sure the "Yellow Submarine" tune was sung too but I just can't remember how that chant went.
Photo by DC Thomson.Tints by GG


No comments: